Monday, February 14, 2011

Stunts, Alex O'Loughlin & Moi!

02/14/2011
Photobucket
Shake
The stunts on Hawaii Five-0 are awesome but boy does it take a lot of hard work. I was on set to experience just what goes into creating a stunt sequence. When I got to Liliha street they were just setting up the stunt. The trolley was parked down the street. A ways up was "the car" - the one the stunt double has to launch off of to land inside the moving trolley. Woah. I wouldn't do that!



Justin Sundquist, Alex O'loughlin's stunt double actually got hurt on the first take. The trolley was a little too far away and he caught the railing right in his stomach. On the second take he was a little late and scraped the side of his tricep. Ouch! What's interesting is how they determine who does what. The studio won't let Alex do all of his stunts because the production would get shut down if he gets hurt. So Justin does the big stuff and Alex does as much as he can leading up to it. For this particular stunt that meant running, jumping onto the hood of the car and launching himself into the air - into pads. Alex did that about four times and it was a wrap for the stunt. It's pretty cool to see these types of scenes unfold. You can feel and hear the crew release a sigh of relief when it's done without a hitch and conversely suck in their breath when someone gets hurt.

I can relate to this. I did a stunt for the movie "You May Not Kiss the Bride" about a year ago. They set the jeep I was riding in on fire, sent it careening down a hill and into a tree to blow up. Along the way, I jump out with only a rock along the path of the jeep as my cue to jump. The adrenaline rush was like nothing I've ever felt before. I seriously could have died. You can call it thrill-seeking or stupid, but action shows are nothing without their stunts teams.
Photobucket

Can I punch youA fun extra on my Five-0 shoot was my "fight scene" with the shows star, Alex O'Loughlin. The guy cracks me up. He's funny and light-hearted and humored me with a quick "lesson" on how to do what he calls a "nap." If you ask you shall receive - so I asked if I could punch him. I loved how he totally got into it and produced a quick fight scene for us to perform. He then let me kick him in the head. Kind of. As I brought my leg back he grabbed it and preceded to "dance" with me - calling it the "one-legged waltz." All in all, a great shoot for a great story.

Search: Malika Five 0 stunts to see the story I wrote that aired February 14.
Photobucket
Source:
http://blogs.hawaiinewsnow.com/malika/2011/02/stunts-alex-oloughlin-moi.html

No comments:

Post a Comment